Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Bus Stop

A letter from the school district came in the mail today, I was excited to open it as I'm thrilled for the start of a new school year.  Jackson will be attending the local elementary school that now has a Spanish Immersion program.  He'll be starting in first grade, while his classmates all started in Kindergarten.  I'm incredibly nervous for him, but I know that he will excel. 

As I opened the letter, I quickly recognized it as his bus assignment.  He'll be picked up down at the corner and will ride the bus to and from school daily.  I was giddy as I read the letter to our boy -- he's riding the bus! Alone! To school! And back home again!

But... Oh my!  Is he ready for this?  (Of course he is, but am I?) I mean, what kind of parent puts their kid in a moving vehicle without seat belts, with a stranger???  Wait, do they have seat belts now?  He's only 6... surely not old enough to take care of himself.  Will he be scared as he boards that bus?  Will he make friends? How will he know where to go when he gets to school?  My baby will figure this all out, I know but there is a very large part of me that feels like I should be by his side every step of the way.

My boy is growing up, he's riding a bike and riding a school bus and I will do my best to let him open his wings without a hovering mom by his side all of the time!

No comments: