Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Monday, June 29, 2009

A Family Update

Jackson's Latest Vocabulary Update: I've been pulling out some of the first year Spanish words to teach Jackson. He can now count to ten in Spanish and knows the words for hair, hands, mouth and eyes. We're still working on feet and fingers. Just yesterday we started working on animals. When I told him the word for Cow (vaca)... he repeated it as "caca." And that's a whole other spanish word that I am not ready for him to learn (Google it if you aren't familar).

Jackson's nap time: We are really working hard to get Jackson to take a nap at school. On days that he goes to school, he doesn't nap and then is grumpy and typically falls asleep at the dinner table. We've been watching an episode of Diego before bed, but now he can only watch Diego if he takes a nap during the day. We started this last week, and haven't had luck yet. But he has behaved at nap time (no jumping on his cot) and tried to take a nap, but has not been successful yet. Nap times are no problem at home, it's just school days that are a problem.

Camping: Sara and Jackson did not have a great first camping experience this year, but we are going to try it again. A combination of a tired mama, no daddy and a kid who didn't turn his listening ears on made it difficult and we ended our trip early. This time we are heading up to Grandpa Kolar's for the Fourth and plan to sleep in my mom's camper for a night. I'm hoping this trip is more enjoyable and we'll have some practice so we can be ready for a trip to Gooseberry State Park in the coming weeks.

What Ron has going on: Ron has been working to improve his wordworking space in our garage. The latest additions have been a monster lumber rack to help him to organize his wood and the purchase of a band saw and a planer. I'm not sure what either of these purchases will help him to do, but one of them involves the building of a much needed picnic table. Ron has finished fencing in our backyard. Though after installing the latch, Jackson proceeded to unlatch it and open the gate. So, we'll need to come up with a childproof option.

Sara's load: Last week was finals week and today I started a new term. I was originally slated to attend full time this term, but dropped it down to part time. I was enrolled in a class taught by the same professor that I had for last term... well I was not at all impressed with her and decided to drop the course planning to sign up for something else in its place. But with the new baby due August 17 and the term not ending until August 20, I reluctantly decided that I would only take one course this term. This will allow more time to get ready for the baby and enjoy the summer a bit. I think it's a smart move, I'm just not thrilled knowing it will extend the date in which I will graduate.

2 comments:

Pam Leier said...

Sara...there are no words to tell you how proud I am of you. I think you are an incredible woman and I would think so even if you weren't my daughter.

Ron & Sara...Jackson is an amazing little boy...so smart and wonderful to be around. Thank you both.

Ed Leier said...

Wow you guy's are busy! I would imagine you are trying to get lots of stuff done before Addie arrives. Ron has more tools that I do, he has the talent to make a lot of nice stuff, and now with the tools his ability will only improve. I hope Jackson gets through this stage in his life with out making it too difficult for his parents. Soon he has to be a helper with his sister arriving and getting used to less attention. I am sure it will all work out as many folks have done this and the best tool is patience and only worrying about the thing you can change and accepting the things that you cannot change, as the way it will be. Sara I am proud of you and your accomplishments your schooling and grades are just amazing.