Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Friday, August 6, 2010

My what a year brings...

This weekend is cousin Lukie's birthday party and we are so excited to attend. Ron asked at the dinner table where Luke's birthday party was held last year. I reminded him that we were unable to attend because we were in the hospital with Jackson. I was 9 months pregnant with Addie and Jackson was sick. It was a scary time for all and even thinking back, a lump forms in my throat. Last year at this time Jackson developed a blood disorder called ITP. For some unknown reason his platelet count dropped to basically zero, meaning he didn't have the ability to clot blood. We had to pull him from childcare immediately and I stopped working in order to do everything we could to protect our sweet boy from getting hurt.

Last Friday I went to the doctor because of a lump in my breast. Dr. Ashford said I should get in for an ultrasound and mammogram... so I went to the desk to make the appointment, doing my best not to panic. When the appointment desk woman took me back to Dr. Ashford to tell him that they couldn't get me an appointment within the week, Dr. Ashford said that was ridiculous and absolutely not good enough. Well, panic set in. I did everything I could to hold back tears as the nurse made the call to United Breast Center to get me in. They were able to get me in the following Monday. I had to come home and tell Ron the news and all I could do was bury my head in his chest and cry. What if somehing happened to me? What if my kids never to know me? It was a terrible weekend. I tried to continue to hold it together so that the kids wouldn't see me upset. But in the end everything has worked out. The doctors at United Breast Center tell me everything has tested fine. Though they want to continue to watch it and I have another appointment in three months.

What this post is really about is that I'm so thankful that we all have our health. It's easy to lose track of the wonderful things in our world and after some scares, I'm so thankful to have two healthy kids hanging around me. Yesterday, Ron and I took the kids on a long bike ride all the way to the library, climbing some pretty steep hills on our bikes. While my legs burned, all I could think of was how happy I was that we were all able to do it.

4 comments:

Pam Leier said...

I am forever grateful that my daughter, son-in-law, grandson and grandaugther are healthy at this moment in time. I will keep you all in my daily prayers that you will all be healthy and stay safe forever because there is nothing more important in life. I love you all more than anything!

Jesse & Katie said...

LOVE YOU!

Joanna said...

So glad to hear it was just a scare! Been thinking about you!

The Frys said...

Oh no! I'm happy to hear you're fine and dandy. It seems non-dangerous ones crop up quite a bit, so I hope that's all it continues to be. Take care of you!