Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Camping at Lake Elmo

Well we took another camp adventure all the way to Lake Elmo! Along for the ride were: Grandma Pam and Bill, Mell, Terry and Luke, Tinker, Nancy and Malak. We've had some bad luck camping, but this one takes the cake. To begin with I have allergies, I don't like to admit this because I've never had allergies. Well it's time to face facts: whatever is in the air outside in August makes me sneeze and sneeze and then sneeze again. And while I sneeze I itch my poor throbbing eyes.

Things were going pretty smooth, the camper was set up, we'd had dinner and Addie took a bath in the dishpan! After dinner though we had some visitors at our campsite; the good ol' mosquito and friends came out to play and they didn't play fair and in the end we forfeited and went to bed early. After quite the task of getting kids to sleep in 90 degree temperatures with high humidity, we woke in the morning and got a good start to the day, however my allergies were getting worse. We enjoyed a bike ride, ate some snacks and headed to the beach. We had a lovely time swimming and the kids were great.

At this point I had made many runs back and forth to the bathroom with Jackson, which was a block away. Sometimes I would run with him in my arms, sometimes I would bike him down in the trailer, sometimes my mom or Ron would take him. Sometimes he would make it in time, sometimes he would not... wait... I think more often than not... he wouldn't make it. Oh wait, let's clarify: he never made it!

At 5:30 pm on Saturday night we were plum out of underwear or pants for the boy. We were frustrated, sneezing parents and had already decided that we would leave after bonfire that night. And then he pooped. He pooped and we packed up the camper.

We got kids in the car, hitched up the trailer, said our sad goodbyes and off we went, looking forward to our air-conditioned house and beds. While Addie screamed (too tired and hungry) Jackson fell asleep before we even left the park.

Thump, Thump, Thump!!! What the hell is that???

A flat tire.

You have got to be kidding me.

You're not?

Damn.

Flat tire.

We pull over and while the sun beats down on him, Ron works to change our flat tire on the trailer (without a jack). I hold a screaming Addie. Wait, she's screaming AND grunting.

Lovely. The girl has pooped.

So I change a stinky diaper and Ron finishes the tire change.

3 comments:

Pam Leier said...

You can't make this stuff up! It will get easier every year and the kids will have wonderful memories of growing up and spending time a as family. I promise someday Mom & Dad will actually enjoy camping, too.

Pam Leier said...

As a family...not a as family. I need to proof before I click send.

Tinker said...

I think it was a trying weekend for all of us!