Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bicycle built for two


This summer was the summer for bicycle adventures.  Jackson has not been fond of riding his bike with the training wheels, he says it's too "wobbly".  For the fourth of July, his class had a bicycle parade.  I thought that maybe if he saw his friends riding, he'd join in too.  I packed up his bike and helmet and brought it to school.  When I picked him up and asked about the parade, he told me he walked but that someone else rode his bike because they forgot theirs.  Huh!? Guess that didn't work.

I talked to his friend Isaac's dad about it and he said that Isaac had been having some of the same issues but he loves riding on the tag-a-long bike.  Well I just happened to have bought a tag-a-long bike from my co-worker Julia the summer before but we thought that Jackson would ride it when he was older and had been storing it up in the rafters of the garage.

So the next day, we took down the tag-a-long and plopped Jackson on it.  He howled! No lie!  He howled so loud, people two streets over could have heard him.  I ran alongside the bike and strapped on his helmet while he gripped my shirt before I pried his hands from it and let him ride.  He hated it!

The next morning, we tried again.  We bribed him by saying we would ride to Grandpa's so he could show off but the screams came just the same.  Bumpa and Cathy came out to the driveway and Jackson got of the bike and said "I don't like it, but Mom and Dad make me do it."  We got back on the bikes, this time Jackson didn't scream because Cathy encouraged that with a Star Wars fighter jet (anything can be bought with Star Wars toys in our house these days).

So we kept on riding, we road all the way around the Lake and Jackson was actually having fun.  He like going down the hills and was really enjoying himself, though he never helped his dad pedal!


No comments: