Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Monday, February 20, 2012

Harold and the Purple Crayon

My mom got third row seats to Harold and the Purple Crayon at the Children's Theater for her and Jackson.  When I told Jackson he was worried that the story was going to be boring.  I asked him to please only tell Grandma that he had a great time.  I made him promise that he could come home and tell me he was bored but that it would hurt Grandma's feelings if he told her it was boring.

When Grandma Pam came to pick him up she asked him if he was excited. 

Damn... this was not a question I prepped him for.  He looked up at me sheepishly and I tilted my head and gave him a subtle glare.  At five has this child learned how to read my facial expression, I wondered.  Aha! He did... he smiled and said "kinda".  "Kinda" was much better than the "I don't want to go" that I knew he was thinking.

When Grandma and Jackson returned with purple crayon cookies in hand, I could tell by the sparkle in his eyes that he indeed had fun! I pulled him aside to see how it went and he said "I actually liked it!".  What a thrill.  He told me all about the show and admitted that he was a bit scared when the crab came.  Here he is waiting for the curtain to roll!

Thanks Grandma Pam!

1 comment:

Pam Leier said...

I had the time of my life! It was so wonderful to have Jackson all to myself for the day. The best part of my day was showing him the Veiled Lady at the Institute because I know it is his mother's favorite. When I asked him what was the best part of his day he said "the chocolate cake." Life is simple for kids...just let them eat cake!