Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Being a better parent

Look at me... two posts in a row!

I'm reading up lately on being a better parent. At the end of a long day at work I don't always have the patience I need to be the parent I want to be. So I'm on a quest to find some helpful tools to keep in my toolkit. Random parenting thoughts:

If you want them to stop, you have to stop what you're doing, walk over to them, and tell them that. No parenting across the room. It Does. Not. Work.

I was talking to a coworker about Jackson's summer science program and how he was learning about matter. My coworker asked how he explained it and I had to say I tuned him out. Why did I tune him out? I'm sure I was busy trying to get two kids settled into dinner or something else was taking my attention, but I hate that I missed this important moment. I know I can't always give the kids my full attention but I want to be better about listening to their stories.

Addie is getting in the habit of wanting to sleep in my bed again. We seem to go through stages. Last night I decided to put my foot down. She cried in her room for 20 minutes... I went in a few times to try to calm her but left. What I should have done is what Ron did stay with her until she fell asleep. It didn't take that long and I could have avoided the 20 minutes of crying. I know I should be teaching her but really these moments are so few and far between that why shouldn't I just enjoy them. Before I know it she'll be slamming her door and telling me to leave her alone.

It's always a learning process and not always fun!

No comments: