Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Monday, April 26, 2010

Two wheels! (Okay, four)

The boy is growing so fast and in some ways I feel sad for the toddler he no longer is, but excited for the boy he's becoming. As he rode away from me for the first time on his new bike tears rolled down my face. I don't cry easily, never at a Hallmark commercial but seeing my first baby turning into a little boy is hard for me to accept some days.

Jackson was a little leery at first about shopping for a new bike but he did show some excitement. He's a cautious kid and at this time scares easily and is afraid of new things. I was fully prepared to have Ron spend the time constructing the bike and Jackson refusing to get on it. However, this time was different, Jackson was excited to try out the new bike. He got on after some instruction from Dad and before we knew it, he was doing circles around Dad's van.

Jackson even rode down the block with me to get our mail and all the way back on his own. I'm so proud of that boy. And I think I told him so oh.... sixteen times last night!

3 comments:

Tinker said...

It will never stop either!

Pam Leier said...

It is always a bitter sweet day when children learn to ride a bike.

Between Jackson riding a bike and Addie with a tooth I feel they are both growing too fast.

Ed Leier said...

No matter what you do, you can't stop them from growing up. You can harbor them and over protect them and it only makes the growing experience more difficult for all later on. I was surprised as he told me what all the parts of the bike were for. Then he had to tell me about his helmet and why he has to wear it. I suppose I better start wearing my helmet also, lead by example, you know it is amazing how they learn or react to what they see other react to. I still look forward to hearing both him and Addie laugh it just makes my day.