Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Preschooler...

I've been meaning to write this post for some time now, but can't seem to find the time to devote to it. So before he enters kindergarten, I'd better make at least an attempt to tell you all about his first day of preschool.

Jackson started preschool a few weeks ago already now. We had been driving by his school for a couple of weeks telling him that it was going to be his new school, he was very excited. After a couple of times, he'd point out his "new school" to us.

The week before school started we brought him in for a free play time at his school so that we could meet his teachers and he could slowly acclimate a bit. I was very nervous that he would be too rough with the other kids and his new teachers would groan over the new boy coming too school that would be a challenge. Jackson did okay though and was excited about going back to spend more time with his new friends.

The first day of school went fabulously according to his teachers. Jackson however had a different story. He seemed to only dwell on the things he didn't like: He didn't like lunch (though he couldn't remember what was served) and he most certainly didn't like nap time. I'd ask what he liked about school and again he'd tell me that he "didn't like lunch and he really didn't like nap time." Day two and three got a little better. Then on day four Ron brought him to school, and he cried and cried and dad had to break free from his grip and leave him there.

Oh that's so sad, I felt horrible for both the guys in my life. I thought by the next week, it'd get better but we spent one full week of Jackson gripped to my legs as I walked out the door. He told me one day that he had to sit in the "sad area until he could stop crying." Oh if that doesn't make a mother cry. I even started to ponder how I could stay home with him.

But the next week was better! And ever since, he's been doing great: he loves playing with new friends, has gone on a field trip to Lookout Ridge, is great at making crafts, brought in a picture of his big apple for sharing time, has worn a cowboy hat for crazy hat day and showed up in his space shuttle pajamas for pajama day!

And a parent's proudest moment: Last week when I picked him up, his whole class was sitting in a row waiting for their name to be called to play. I walked over to one of the teachers who said, "he's so good!" I did a double take and thought to myself, is she speaking of my kid??!! What? And then she goes on about how well he listens and follows directions.

GET OUT?!?!

I'm so happy to learn that he's a good kid at school. I hope the listening improves at home in the process.

1 comment:

Ed Leier said...

This makes me happy also,he is a good boy. He will push the limits if you let him but once he knows who the boss is he will follow the rules. I guess the teachers just had to show him the rules. he will only get better as he learns how to be with others and how important and easy life can be if you follow the rules.