Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade...

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday for many reasons, one of them being the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I can't wait to wake up with Jackson and run to the living room to turn on the old television and tune it to the parade. It's the one day all year that it's perfectly acceptable to stay in your pjs until noon, so that you don't miss one single float go by.

The Rockettes!!! Oh, the Rockettes... I was going to be one of them someday. Somehow even if I had the ability I don't think I would have been accepted being 5'3" and all would play against me. I would yell to my mom who was probably getting multiple dishes ready for our Thanksgiving feast, "Mom, the Rockettes are on!!! You CAN'T miss the Rockettes, hurry up get out here!!"


The RadioCity Rockettes


A few years ago my mom met a Rockette! She brought me back a t-shirt... but I still wish I could meet a Rockette.

Do you remember when the Sonic the Hedgehog balloon got caught up in a lamp-post? I think that it was the Cat in the Hat that banged into another lamp-post a few years later and injured some folks.

Spending Thanksgiving mornings with Bryant Gumball, Willard Scott, Katie Couric and Al Roker has been a highlight of mine for many years. I watch from the very first float until Santa makes his way to Macy's. Last year I was a little disappointed to be watching Meredith Vierra and not Katie Couric, and I'll probably be disappointed again this year, but the smile won't leave my face until Al, Meredith and Matt sign off for the day.

This parade obsession could possbily contribute to the reason that Miracle on 34th Street is my favorite Christmas movie to watch. Maybe this parade obsession contributes to other things... or maybe explains some??

Some day though, I promise to take my family to see Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in front on Macy's. I wonder who will be most excited to be there?

3 comments:

Pam Leier said...

I wish I could turn back the clock and have my baby home with me...but then we wouldn't have Jackson, so I guess it is good that time moves forward.

Ed Leier said...

It is nice to remember when and relive past holidays and that is what traditions are made from! We also need to have goals and going to Macy’s thanksgiving parade is a fine one to have. I don’t mean to hurt you but one reason you could not be a rocket is your heritage of having Leier legs!

Libby S. said...

I am right there with you girl! The Macys Day Parade is a favorite of mine also! Every Thanksgiving my family and I turn it on and watch all day while preparing the days feast! I may have to tag along if you ever do make it to the parade, see dreams can come true! :)