Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Monday, January 11, 2010

Gastrofamily Week One

I am fully aware that I will not be doing this weekly or even bi-weekly but if I set my goals high perhaps I will be satisfied with the outcome.

As one of my 2010 goals states, I would like to get our family eating a better variety of foods. So it is my goal that we will try a couple new foods each month.

Gastrofamily Week One:

Beets. The beet chip recipe I had was not a complete failure, but it only produced a few perfect chips. Some were too thick and came out rubbery and most were too thin and burned to a crisp. For this reason... I need a mandolin. Jackson tried a couple but was not impressed and Ron felt the same. I will try beets again, another way.

Parsnips. Success! I made a apple and parsnip mash that went over well with both boys, actually.

Apple Parsnip Mash
A delicious alternative to mashed potatoes.

20 ounces parsnips
2 apples (Honeycrisp)
1 tablespoon margarine
salt
pepper

1. Peel and cut parsnips and apples into ¼ inch chunks. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil until soft, about 20 minutes.

2. Drain.

3. Add 1 tablespoon margarine and salt and pepper to taste. Puree in food processor.


Yields: 6 servings

Time to make: 35 minutes

No comments: