Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Friday, May 28, 2010

Goals for 2010

Back in January I wrote up some goals for the coming year. I thought now was a good time to check in on them and see how we are doing....or not doing.

Personal:
Less soda intake. I would like to decrease to drinking one can of soda each day and increase my water intake.
Failing. Miserably failing. If I don't have at least one can of Pepsi a day I may die. I have been drinking more water now that it's been warmer out, but still nothing tastes better than a cold can of Pepsi.

Put more into friendships. I've been spending the last three years growing my family and not putting a lot into my friendships. I hope to put more time and energy into maintaining my friendships.
We are getting better at this. It's still hard to fit in time for friends with so many family commitments but we are making more of an effort.

Pack a lunch. I don't need to eat out to eat with friends. I need to pack my lunch and still get up from my desk to eat it.
Failing. I pack my lunch sometimes and it doesn't sound better than going out to eat, so I leave it in the fridge! This is a bad habit. Part of it is just really wanting to get away from my desk and be out in the world for lunch.

Household:
Create less food-waste. I want to encourage our family to eat leftovers or to make new meals with leftover ingredients.
Getting better. Not great. I tire of food quickly and don't enjoy having leftovers. I have gotten better at making smaller quantities so that we don't have so much leftover.

Buy in bulk. I'd like to make my Target visits last longer. Why only buy one box of diapers when I know we will go through many, many more? I am needing to go to Target once a week, my goal is to spread that out a little more. Buy a few packages of wipe refills, not just one!Yay! Doing better here. I can almost make it two weeks without going to Target.

Parenting:
Broaden Jackson's diet. I'd like to introduce a new food every other week and get him to eat a more grown up diet. I've been staying safe and feeding him kid-friendly food which I'm afraid will turn him off to adventurous foods.Success! Jackson is eating things like hummus, olives, parsnips, zucchini, cauliflower, pita bread and risotto. He is willing to take one bite of something and knows that if he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to eat it. Tried but won't eat: sprouts, tomatoes, cucumber, pizza, beets, mango and avocado.

Encourage Jackson to help with chores. Currently, to get chores done I send Jackson to hang with Dad or watch a show. I'd like to be better about getting him involved even if it does take longer to do the chore.
Jackson really likes pulling clothes from the dryer into the basket. He is also pretty good at dusting with a wet rag. We've really been working on bringing dishes to the counter after a meal and wiping up his own spills.

Get Addie signing. We did really well working with Jackson to use sign language and it made life easier. I want to do this same thing with Addie.
Addie is waving bye-bye and clapping for "more". We'll keep working at it.

No comments: