Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lightning McQueen

We weren't able to pass up this deal from the neighbors on Friday, so Jackson has himself a battery powered Lightning McQueen race car. He was incredibly timid when Ajay (the neighbor) brought it over. He was happy to sit in the car but vehemently refused to push the gas pedal.

He seemed so determined to never push that pedal, I thought he'd be sixteen before he would! Which is why I told Ron I didn't think it was a good idea to hand over our hard-earned cash for a hunk of plastic that Jackson would only sit in and PRETEND to drive.

Of course, Ron and I were not in agreement and I conceded. There, hunk of red plastic in our garage taking up more of my parking space. Done.

Well on Sunday a light bulb went on in my head and I convinced Jackson to sit in the car while I sat up top, behind him. I promised that we would only pretend to drive. I lied. That's right, I lied. I gripped him between my knees and I put my foot on the pedal. He squirmed and screamed... for like five seconds! And then he thought it was pretty cool! I drove the car to the front lawn and suddenly the boy's shoe was smashing my foot on that pedal (he wanted to drive)! So I let him.


Then I realized that my safety was in the hands of a three year old boy driving a car for the first time and this was bad. I kept trying to get my foot back on the pedal and grip the steering wheel, but the boy was having none of that. Finally I was able to get out of the car so that Jackson was racing solo. Thankfully, Ron was on hand to give him his first driving lesson.

In the end, I put my arm around Ron and said, "This is so cool! I'm glad you bought the car" And then, we called Bumpa down so that he could check out the race car driver of the family.

Here, I'd like to compare him to some famous race car driver, but that's not a sport I'm familiar with. I'm embarrassed to say that can't think of a one! I think there was a racer named Jeff on Pepsi cans for a while, and then there was the racer who died, I can't think of his name either, but he has a son that races? Good lord, that's bad. Oh wait... there is that one that Ashley Judd is married to!


And a video to capture the moment:


3 comments:

Jesse & Katie said...

I laughed out loud at this post! What a cute hunk of plastic, and even a cuter driver!

Pam Leier said...

Jackson will be cutting his grandma's grass in no time!

Tinker said...

Malak still uses his jeep that was a hand me down from Mary. It is in rough shape and isn't as cool as this car. Jackson will love this for years.