Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Friday, July 9, 2010

One fish, two fish...

Thirty fish!

We went up to Grandpa Kolar's to celebrate the fourth of July holiday with him and some family. Unfortunately Grandma Jan was unable to make it at the last minute, so we had to bring her favorite butterscotch cookies to her at home.

While most of the family went out for an afternoon on the boat, we stuck around the house on a day that turned out to be 90 degrees. Because of the heat most of the day was pretty miserable, we actually went to Walmart just to get into some air-conditioning. For those of you that know me well.... I must have been desperate; I never go to Walmart!

When the boat came back after dinner we took Jackson out for a fishing trip. We started to get a little lucky and picked up Uncle Mike on the dock. And that's when the fishing trip turned into an event I will never forget. I was holding Addie in my lap who was in and out of napping while Ron, Uncle Mike and Jackson fished. They couldn't even get a third line in the water because the fish were biting so well. I sat and watched my boy squeal with excitement as he reeled in fish after fish.

He held on to some of the fish, tried to get the hook of out others. He pulled in sheephead, walleye, sunfish and perch. He helped to throw them back and then when Uncle Mike asked "would you like to eat this one or throw him back?" To our surprise Jackson said he wanted to eat it! So Uncle Mike dropped the fish to the bottom of the boat where it belly flopped all around even frightened Jackson a bit.





We pulled in enough fish for an evening snack and decided it was time to go in. Uncle Mike showed my boys how to fillet a fish! Jackson watched so intently as the fish were filleted, he took the good meat and put it in a dish of water and took the rest of the fish and put it in the garbage... wiping his hands on his shorts in between.



He then went around and asked everyone how they wanted their fish and when it was done he was so proud to have everyone eating the fish that he caught. He also like having a fish snack before bed.



I have to say that this will go down as one of my favorite memories with my family. I was so proud watching Jackson get excited about catching fish and being brave enough to get his worms, hold on to fish and learn to fillet.

1 comment:

The Frys said...

Hey Jackson - Great work.
It sounds like you're a fine fisherman. ;)
Sara - we're going scrapbooking July 23-25 in North Branch at scrappin house - www.scrappinhouse.com - it'll be about $70-80 per person and some neighbors and friends are going. Thought you might be interested - let me know - my e-mail is wendyfry3@gmail.com - See ya! - Wendy