Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Thursday, May 8, 2008

An evening with Dolly...

Last night, after a rescheduled date, I finally got to cash in on my birthday present from my Mom. Fifth row Dolly Parton!!

It was worth the wait, my mom and I had a fabulous time. Seeing Dolly was as good as I dreamed it would be. I have always thought Dolly was amazing, and she is. While I do believe she lip-synched the first song she ever wrote, Puppy Love, the rest sounded genuine and wonderful.

I was afraid that she would sing more of her new stuff from Backwoods Barbie that I didn't know, but she got in EVERY hit I was dying to see her sing. She came out singing Two Doors Down and I clapped my hands and sang to all of my favorites, 9 to 5, Jolene, Why'd You Come in Here Lookin' Like That, Here You Come Again, and Islands in the Stream. And as usual, a few tears fell during Coat of Many Colors.

As we arrived at the car I realized that my Top 5 Concerts of All Time had to change.

Old Order:
1. Pavoratti
2. Cyndi Lauper
3. Neil Diamond
4. Guns and Roses
5. Garth Brooks

New Order:
1. Pavoratti
2. Cyndi Lauper
3. Dolly Parton
4. Neil Diamond
5. Guns and Roses

4 comments:

Pam Leier said...

Wow...Garth lost his spot on the top five. I have to admit that I think she moved up on my list, too. Dolly made me laugh and she made me cry...I could hardly contain myself through "I Will Always Love You." Music has a way of making us connect with things in our life that are both good & bad by making them just a little bit better. Thank you for sharing your gift with me...it meant a lot and I will always love you. Mom

Eric said...

Jeff and I saw Dolly, too! At Radio City Music Hall last week. It was one of the best shows I have ever experienced. I cried three times: once during "I Will Always Love You," once during "Coat of Many Colors," and once just because I was so overwhelmed with joy. She is such an inspiration, and lord -- that sister still has some pipes on her!

Ed Leier said...

Sara your soul has a direct conection to music. It always has been and I am glad you had a wounderful time.

The Frys said...

Hey you Leiers! Now, you're making me cry - for a couple reasons. 1. I wanted to go to Dolly and didn't.
2. How cute are your messages, here?!
3. Those songs are pretty awesome!

Hope you're all doing well.
Wendy (the old, old, old roommate - how long ago was that?!)