Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Monday, August 17, 2009

Birth Story Part One...

On Thursday evening Jackson and I packed up in search of fried food and farm animals at the Taste of Maplewood. We had spent plenty of time petting farm animals when I realized that I didn't feel so good. As Ron met up with us and we headed toward the car, realizing I may get sick before we make it home. Luckily my mom was able to meet us at our house and fix something for dinner for Jackson so I could head off to bed. I slept for an hour and felt much better.

Ron got home late from the event at the community center, we check in on our days and it's off to bed we go... falling asleep around midnight. At 1:45 Ron woke up to move to the couch to relieve some back pain. I woke up at the same time with what feels like a massive contraction that will not let up. I am on the bed, on my hands and knees trying to get the feeling to move, change or go away completely. When it lets up a bit, enough for me to manuever the stairs without landing on my head, I head downstairs to check in with Ron.

I am at the point that it feels like one constant contraction that only lets up slightly, but never goes away. Our conversation goes something like this:

Ron: How far apart are they?
Sara: I don't know
Ron: How long do they last?
Sara: I don't know
Ron: Should we try to go back to bed or go to the hospital?
Sara: I don't f**king know!
Ron: Are they getting closer together?
Sara: I don't f**king know! I'm calling St. John's.
Sara: Don't listen to me, get out of here.

Was I crabby? Yes. I didn't want to end up at the hospital only to be sent home, and I really wanted more sleep!

The nurse from St. John's thought I should come in as soon as possible, so I rang my dad. I told him it may be a false alarm and that he didn't need to rush, Ron jumped in the shower and I packed a few last minute things in my bag. My dad came only 15 minutes later... not listening to my request not to rush as I had expected. Ron and I packed up and headed to the hospital, Ron requesting that now I stop being so snarky and me asking him to slow down.

To be continued...

4 comments:

Ed Leier said...

I did not think I was that slow it is about a ten-minute drive and I did have to kind of stop for three red lights. It must be old age but when I think about it, I more than likely had to go the bathroom also.

Pam Leier said...

Even though I know how the story ends I can't wait to read more...

Jesse & Katie said...

I love the conversation! Can't wait to meet that beautiful baby!

Darcie, Elise & Anja said...

I'm loving your story, though it is physically painful for me to read. And every man should know that a woman in labor gets anything she wants and gets only positive reinforcement.