Keeping Up with Ron, Sara, Jackson and Addie

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Meet the grandparents...

Addie and Jackson are lucky kids for many reasons, but one that comes to mind immediately is the love they are given from their grandparents. Both Addie and Jackson's names come from our grandparents who have been a source of inspiration to Ron and I.

Jackson's middle name James, is from Ron's Grandpa Jim, a kind and gentle man whose stories from the war and his young life are still interesting to me, no matter how many times we've heard them before. While Jackson comes from my side, my Grandfather's name was Otto--not a name I wanted to stick my son with--however my grandparents lived just off of Jackson street and owned a window repair shop on Jackson street in St. Paul. I spent many summer mornings walking the six or so blocks along Jackson Street to the shop and days spent playing with screens, "helping" to fix windows and eating lunch with Mrs. Klos.

Adeline was Ron's grandmother's name, Addie died in 2005, just before Ron and I got married. I feel incredibly lucky to have been able to meet and spend time with her in my short year with the family before she passed away. She was an amazing woman and Ron has many fond memories of the time he spent with his grandparents as a child. Irene was my grandmother, a hard-working, no-nonsense tough lady with a heart larger than anyone on this green earth. Unfortunately she is living in a nursing home and has deteriorated so much so that she doesn't know who anyone is anymore... but I know she would be incredibly proud of me and my family. It seemed appropriate to give our Addie the names of these two women to mark how special they were to Ron and I.

I know that Jackson and Addie will have wonderful stories to tell about their grandparents as well, and am so glad that they are all around to spend a lot of time with our children.

Addie and Grandma Pam


Addie and Grandpa Joel


Addie and Grandma Jan

h
Addie and Grandpa Ed (aka Bumpa)

1 comment:

Pam Leier said...

Sara,
I cried my eyes out when I read your post. I am so lucky to have you in my life. I didn't think I could love anyone as much as I do you, but I love my grandchildren so much and I am so happy that they bring us all closer to the past with the names that we call them. That is what they call "family" and there is nothing more important.